Study and Research
Lately, it's become hard for me to concentrate on my research and prepare for presentations. I would like to talk to my academic advisor about this problem, but I'm afraid he/she will be disappointed in me. What should I do?
If you know the reason why you're having trouble concentrating, try to think about what you can do to eliminate the cause. If your problem is related to your research, please don't hesitate to tell your situation to your academic advisor. It is important that your advisor knows about your situation so that he can offer you effective guidance. If it's difficult for you to talk to your advisor by yourself, please come to the ACS Office. You don't need to struggle with your problem alone. We can consider your issue together.
I have been appointed a tutor. What should I do now?
Starting in April 2006, Nagoya University adopted a new tutoring system for international students.
You may refer to the Tutor Handbook (in PDF 24.3MB) for details. But first, meet with the academic advisor and the international student to find out what you need to do.
Generally, tutors provide the following support:
A) Basic individualized instruction for study and research
- Assistance and guidance with lectures, research, experiments and exercises
- Assistance with book study & seminar preparation and reports
- Supplementary assistance with correction of reports and academic papers
- Advice on the use of facilities related to the academic area of study
- Supplementary assistance with Japanese language and conversation
- Explanation of terminology related to research
- Introduction and explanation of Japanese culture and customs
- Study and other assistance for preparing for admission to graduate school
- Meeting the international student upon arrival to Japan
- Assistance with university paperwork at the University and the local ward office and procedures for opening a bank account soon after arrival
- Help with finding housing
- Help with buying essential items soon after arrival
- Accompaniment to a hospital in case of illness or injury
I need the official seal on my diploma authenticated. Where should I go?
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (Certification Section in the Consular Affairs Bureau or the MOFA Osaka Office) authenticates official seals on certificates from government offices, independent administrative institutions, or special governmental corporations.
- Certification Section of Consular Affairs Bureau
Ministry of Foreign Affairs South Bldg. 1F
Kasumigaseki 2-1-1 Chiyoda-ward Tokyo 100-8919
Tel: 03-3580-3311(main switchboard), (ext.) 2308 and 2855
- Osaka Liaison Office
4F, Osaka National Government Building No.4,
4-1-76 Otemae, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 540-0008
Tel: 06-6941-4700 (direct phone number)